Friday, January 6, 2017

Happy New Year--Week Ending January 7, 2017


7 PM to 7 AM--It's official...in France

Welcome back. The last time you saw me in a picture at the top of the blog was when I shared a lesson from my father. This holiday I was surprised by my daughter on our visit to London to spend an unplanned day in Paris, she and I, alone. My theme for this blog “live” was underscored by a law passed by the French while we were on vacation, it seems only fitting that I model adhering to the new ruling. I decided to turn off, tune out and live life.

While it is difficult in the US and right here in North Kingstown to separate emails and working after hours, studies have shown that those companies that have set policies to address off hours emails still achieve the same competencies. I will be taking a page out of the French play book...you have read it here first, I will not expect a reply in the evenings or on weekends and I will do my best NOT to send anything out to warrant said reply. À bientôt!

Health and Wellness
From Karen D’Abrosca:

Browsing the Website "Positively Positive", I noticed this writing by Stephanie Zamora that seemed so fitting for the New Year.  Instead of mulling through endless habits or patterns that we wish were different, try choosing a "Guiding Word" for 2017 instead.  Use these questions as a guide to choose your word.  Approach the New Year with resolve to find the opportunities hidden in each new day.
  • What do I want to feel this year?
  • What kind of experiences do I want to have?
  • What results, effects or changes do I want to see?
  • What do I want to create in the next 52 weeks?

Upcoming Events/Important Dates

January

9 Faculty Meeting, Postponed
10 School Committee Meeting, 7 pm, High School Auditorium
11 School Improvement Team, 2 pm, Media Center
12 “Screenagers” the documentary film, 6:30 pm, High School Auditorium
13 Quarter 2, grade update
16 No School MLK
17 PTSO Meeting, scheduling presentation and parent feedback, 7 pm, Media Center
18 Democracy Night, NKHS Cafeteria
24-27 Exams



Student Services
From Donna:

  • Our theme this month is Refresh-Reset-Reboot!  Hope you had a chance to do this over the holiday break.  You should have received the Wordle this month, it great to see them in the building, thank you!  The January School Culture page has been updated, please check it out and share with your students. Feel free to share your great ideas, class projects or practices that tie in.
  • On January 12th, we will cast the movie Screenagers at 6:30pm.  Come as a teacher or as a parent.  Check out the trailer: https://vimeo.com/145826333.  Tickets are on sale, but NKHS employees (and family) are invited for free, but a donation at the door would be kindly accepted.
  • Starting on Monday, The Skipper Pride for Excellence will make it's appearance again.  Christine Lyons closed out our spring semester, so she has the honors of choosing Monday's recipient, stay tuned~
Articles Worth Reading

France Lets Workers Turn Off, Tune Out and Live Life


Videos Worth Watching
From Julie Maguire. Thanks, Julie. Cindy Zito suggested showing in advisory. Lets talk about it.

Food for Thought
“London is a riddle. Paris is an explanation.” –Ernest Hemingway


Until next time, Think, Create, Innovate...Denise

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete